A cat water fountain provides fresh, filtered water for your cat. It is a great way to keep your cat hydrated and can help encourage them to drink more water.
Cats can be picky about drinking water, so it is important to find a fountain that your cat will actually use. Also, you should take care of the fountain; otherwise, your water fountain will stop working within a short time after installation!
If your cat fountain is not working properly, it may be because the motor has burned out, the impeller is dirty, or the filter needs to be replaced.
So what should you do? You can try cleaning the fountain and replacing the pump, but if that does not work, you may need to buy a new one. Or if it is related to a pump issue, you can replace them.
Not only for these reasons, but also many other facts that can stop working your cat fountain properly.
Other reasons are that a lot of mineral deposits on the motor can prevent it from working or clog the filter, or even your cat has bitten the cord!
So If you are not sure what to do, feel free to contact a professional who can help you best.
Below are the more common list of why not working
- Check the Pump Lever: The most common issue is that the pump lever is not in the correct position, so make sure to check this first.
- Clean the Fountain: An unpleasant odor coming from your water fountain could mean it needs to be cleaned, which can help prevent algae from growing in it.
- Unclog the Pump: If the water is not flowing well, the pump could be clogged with cat hair or debris. So pouring water over it can help resolve this issue.
- Monitor for Leaks: There are a few common spots internally where a drinking fountain or water cooler can leak, like drain gaskets and push-in fittings. Make sure you monitor these areas for any signs of leaking.
5 Maintaining Tips for Your Pet Water Fountain
Your pet needs to drink fresh, clean water, and the fountain’s filter needs to be changed every 1-3 months.
So you can check the instructions that came with your fountain. Here are 5 tips to help you keep it clean and functioning correctly.
- Clean the fountain with soap and water.
- Rinse the fountain thoroughly after cleaning.
- Change the water in the fountain every week or two.
- If your pet uses the fountain regularly, you may need to clean it more often.
- Keep an eye on the pump and replace it if necessary.
Pro Tips: To keep a cat’s water fountain clean, you will need to empty and rinse it every few days. You can also use a mild soap and water solution to scrub the inside of the fountain. Be sure to rinse the fountain well afterward so that your cat doesn’t drink soap!
Fountains for cats are a great way to ensure your pet always has access to clean drinking water from a fountain. However, if your fountain starts making noise, it may be due to a buildup of debris or bacteria. To clean your fountain and keep it operating correctly, you will need to disassemble it and wash it well. If the noise persists, there may be another reason.
A cat fountain filter typically lasts around 2 to 4 weeks. However, it is essential to check the filter regularly and replace it as soon as it looks dirty. A dirty filter can cause the water in the fountain to become contaminated. However, if you take proper care of your pet fountain, it may last longer than usual time.
Sometimes cat water fountain is not working properly, which is normal. But more reasons are that the water level sensor is inaccurate, and the pump does not seem strong enough to push the water up to the top of the fountain.
So if this is the last case, I recommend you not use this fountain and instead find one that will work better for your cat.