As compelling as a waterfall’s visuals and comforting sounds, but the electricity cost may concern you a little. The massive water flow, sometimes continuous, does make this grand décor sound expensive.
So let’s find out how much electricity a water fountain consumes and the associated electric costs.
The amount of electricity a water fountain uses depends on several factors. These factors include how much power the pumps use, the water used, how long the fountain runs, and the force the pump operates.
On average, submersible water pumps for most birdbaths and fountains use between 10 and 60 watts. So the approx cost will be up to $50 per month if you run several hours per day.
If you use a high-end pump, the cost can go up, but generally speaking, it should stay relatively low. You can calculate the exact amount of energy your fountain pump will use in a day, week, or month using an electricity cost calculator.
By knowing the watts of your water fountain pump, you can estimate the monthly or yearly cost you should expect. Because water fountains usually do not consume a lot of electricity, so the cost is relatively low.
Most water fountains will not consume a lot of electricity. On average water, fountains will use about as much electricity as 10 to 60 watts.
You can significantly reduce the cost of your electric bill by using less water and a lower voltage pump. However, this will affect the fountain’s effectiveness. In contrast, high-end pumps are expensive as they provide powerful output.
Advantages of Low-Wattage Water Pumps
- Energy Efficient: Unidirectional impeller and motor ensure maximum energy efficiency when pumping water.
- Wear-Resistant: Most fountain motor has an anti-corrosive ceramic shaft for a longer life.
- Perfectly Sized: Most brands of pumps come in various sizes to fit your specific needs.
- Rubber Water Seals Protect Against Electrified Water: Rubber seals protect against water that may have become electrified due to lightning or other natural disasters.
- Short Operating Autonomy: Low voltage means shorter operating autonomy, meaning more reliable performance in the long run.
- Great for Clean Water: Fountain pumps are designed to provide clean water, so they will not get clogged up with debris and sediment.
Electric Cost Calcluson of Water Fountain
You can calculate your cost using the following websites:
This calculator requires information on,
- Appliance type
- Utility rate
- Hours used per day &
- Days used per year
This calculator requires information like…
- Power consumption
- Energy price
- Usage time
- This calculator automatically calculates power consumption per day.
According to one of the calculators, the cost of a 150-watt pump will be 38.7 dollars in 215 days.
- Power consumption: The wattage of the fountain pump you are using which is labeled on the pump itself.
- Energy price: The price is measured typically by the kilowatt hour. Remember to convert watts into kilowatts.
- Usage time: How long you run the water fountain in a day.
The pump uses = 150 watts per day (Find the watts on the sticker of the pump) (For a medium-sized fountain)
Energy price= $ 0. 12/ KWh(May vary between places)
The US average is 0.12 kWh
Your usage time= 10 hours/per day
Power consumed = Power consumption x usage time
= 1500 watt-hours or 1.5 kWh per day
The electricity cost = Power consumed x energy price
= 1.5 x 0.12
= $ 0.18 per day
Cost in a year= electricity cost per day * the number of days you operate the fountain
= 0.5 x 215days
Tips for Lowering the Cost of Operating a Water Fountain
If you are looking for tips to help lower the cost of operating a water fountain, there are several things you can do.
- You should consider the size of the pump when selecting a water fountain. So reducing the size of the pump can help reduce overall costs.
- Try to install a more energy-efficient model; these models can range from $1,100 to $7,500 depending on size and features.
- You can gather knowledge by reading the water conservation guide, which gives easy tips to help save water and money while becoming more sustainable.
- Use an electricity cost calculator to determine the amount of energy your water fountain or fountain pump will use in a day, week, or month. So that, you can budget accordingly.
By following these simple tips, you can lower your operating costs and help promote sustainability in your building.
The overall cost depends on the size, style, and features you want. On average, running small to medium-sized fountains cost less than $50 per month to run. You can calculate your fountain’s energy costs by finding out the wattage of the pump and multiplying it by the hours of operation. So overall, running a water fountain doesn’t have to be too hard on your pocket!
The answer to the question mostly depends on the type of pump, the time they run, its size, and various other factors.
Overall, no matter how luxurious it looks, a water fountain does not use a lot of electricity, resulting in low electricity bills. In addition, you can choose a solar-powered water fountain.